The spleen is an important organ for tumor immunity, and the splenic sympathetic nerve has a suppressive effect on splenic natural killer (NK) cytotoxicity. On the basis of this and reports that Lentinus edodes (Shiitake mushroom) has tumor-inhibitory effects, the authors hypothesized that an extract of a mycelial culture of L. edodes grown in a solid medium of sugar-cane bagasse and defatted rice bran–L·E·M–might affect the sympathetic splenic sympathetic nerve activity (Splenic-SNA) and thus inhibit tumor proliferation. Thus, the effect of L·E·M on Splenic-SNA and human cancer cell proliferation was examined. Splenic-SNA was found to be suppressed by an intraduodenal L·E·M injection in urethane-anesthetized rats, which significantly inhibited increases in the tumor volume of human colon and breast cancer cells implanted in athymic nude mice. These findings suggest that L·E·M has an inhibitory effect on tumor proliferation possibly via a reduction in NK cytotoxicity through the suppression of Splenic-SNA.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Role of c-Src in human MCF7 breast cancer cell tumorigenesis.J. Biol. Chem. 2006; 281: 20851-20854
- Selective tumoricidal effect of soluble proteoglucan extracted from the basidiomycete, Agaricus blazei Murill, mediated via natural killer cell activation and apoptosis.Cancer Immunol. Immunother. 1998; 46: 147-159
- Complement function in mAb-mediated cancer immunotherapy.Trends Immunol. 2004; 25: 158-164
- Productions of interferon-gamma and nitrite are induced in mouse splenic cells by a hateroglycan-protein fraction from culture medium of Lentinus edodes mycelia.Immunopharmacology. 1994; 28: 77-85
- The autonomic nervous system as a communication channel between the brain and the immune system.Neuroimmunomodulation. 1995; 2: 203-215
- In vitro cytostatic and immunomodulatory properties of the medicinal mushroom Lentinus edodes.Phytomedecine. 2008; 15: 512-519
- Roles of sympathetic nervous system in the suppression of cytotoxicity of splenic natural killer cells in rat.J. Physiol. 1993; 465: 343-357
- High-level TNF-α secretion and macrophage activity with soluble β-glucans from Saccharomyces cerevisiae.Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 2002; 66: 233-238
- An in vivo study of hepatic and splenic interleukin-1 beta mRNA expression following oral PSK or LEM administration.Jpn. J. Cancer Res. 1994; 85: 1298-1303
- Inhibition of human colon carcinoma development by lentinan from shiitake mushrooms (Lentinus edodes).J. Altern. Complement. Med. 2002; 8: 581-589
- Olfactory stimulation with scent of grapefruit oil affects autonomic nerves, lipolysis and appetite in rats.Neurosci. Lett. 2005; 380: 289-294
- Olfactory stimulation with scent of lavender oil affects autonomic nerves, lipolysis and appetite in rats.Neurosci. Lett. 2005; 383: 188-193
- Anticarcinogenic actions of water-soluble and alcohol-insoluble fractions from culture medium of Lentinus edodes mycelia.Cancer Lett. 1982; 17: 109-114
- Dose-dependent effects of L-carnosine on the renal sympathetic nerve and blood pressure in urethane-anesthetized rats.Am. J. Physiol. 2005; 288: R447-R455
- Olfactory stimulation with scent of essential oil of grapefruit affects autonomic neurotransmission and blood pressure.Brain Res. 2005; 1058: 44-55
- Olfactory stimulation with scent of lavender oil affects autonomic neurotransmission and blood pressure in rats.Neurosci. Lett. 2006; 398: 155-160
- Medicinal mushrooms as a source of antitumor and immunomodulating polysaccharides.Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 2002; 60: 258-274
- Site-selective growth of a hormone-responsive human breast carcinoma in athymic mice.Cancer Res. 1982; 42: 906-012
- Effects of the probiotic strains Lactobacillus johnsonii strain in La1 on autonomic nerves and blood glucose in rats.Life Sci. 2006; 79: 1963-1967
Accepted: November 9, 2008
Received: September 25, 2008
© 2008 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.