- •The viability of PC12 cells was decreased after OGD.
- •OGD up-regulated the expression of P2X7 in PC12 cells.
- •P2X7 agonists induced the [Ca2+]i elevation in PC12 cells after OGD.
- •OxATP, P2X7 siRNA or U0126 decreased the [Ca2+]i elevation in OGD.
- •P2X7 antagonist or P2X7 siRNA depressed the sympathetic neuronal damage.
Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) plays an important role in signal transmission via acting on P2X receptors. P2X7 receptor is involved in pathophysiological changes of ischemic diseases. The PC12 cell line is a popular model system to study sympathetic neuronal function. In this study, the effects of P2X7 on the viability or [Ca2+]i in PC12 cells after exposure to oxygen–glucose deprivation (OGD) were investigated. The results showed that the viability of PC12 cells was decreased under the condition of OGD. BzATP, a P2X7 agonist, decreased the viability, while P2X7 antagonist oxATP or P2X7 siRNA reversed the viability of PC12 cells under the condition of OGD. The expression levels of P2X7 mRNA and protein in PC12 cells were up-regulated under the condition of OGD or BzATP treatment. The expression levels of P2X7 mRNA and protein were significantly decreased in OGD PC12 cells, which were pretreated with oxATP or P2X7 siRNA. It was also found that oxATP or P2X7 siRNA effectively suppressed the increase of [Ca2+]i induced by OGD. P2X7 agonist ATP or BzATP enhanced the [Ca2+]i rise induced by OGD in PC12 cells. The [Ca2+]i peak induced by ATP or BzATP in OGD group was decreased by ERK inhibitor U0126. Therefore, P2X7 antagonists or P2X7 siRNA could depress the sympathetic neuronal damage induced by ischemia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Purinergic signalling in the nervous system: an overview.Trends Neurosci. 2009; 32: 19-29
- P2X7 receptor blockade prevents ATP excitotoxicity in neurons and reduces brain damage after ischemia.Neurobiol. Dis. 2011; 45: 954-961
- Purinergic signalling: from normal behaviour to pathological brain function.Prog. Neurobiol. 2011; 95: 229-274
- Physiological and pathological functions of P2X7 receptor in the spinal cord.Purinergic Signal. 2009; 5: 223-232
- P2 receptors in cardiovascular regulation and disease.Purinergic Signal. 2008; 4: 1-20
- P2X7 receptor activation regulates microglial cell death during oxygen–glucose deprivation.Neuropharmacology. 2013; 73C: 311-319
- A new function for ATP: activating cardiac sympathetic afferents during myocardial ischemia.Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2010; 299: H1762-H1771
- Mechanisms of P2X7 receptor mediated ERK1/2 phosphorylation in human astrocytoma cells.Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 2003; 284: C571-C581
- Purinergic signalling in autonomic control.Trends Neurosci. 2009; 32: 241-248
- Development of an ischemic tolerance model in a PC12 cell line.J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 2005; 25: 154-162
- P2X receptors: targets for novel analgesics?.Neuroscientist. 2005; 11: 345-356
- Electrophysiological studies of upregulated P2X7 receptors in rat superior cervical ganglia after myocardial ischemic injury.Neurochem. Int. 2013; 63: 230-237
- Effect of tricyclodecan-9-yl potassium xanthate (D609) on phospholipid metabolism and cell death during oxygen–glucose deprivation in PC12 cells.Neuroscience. 2007; 146: 946-961
- Neuroprotective effects of nimodipine and nifedipine in the NGF-differentiated PC12 cells exposed to oxygen–glucose deprivation or trophic withdrawal.Int. J. Dev. Neurosci. 2012; 30: 465-469
- Increased sympathoexcitatory reflex induced by myocardial ischemic nociceptive signaling via P2X(2/3) receptor in rat superior cervical ganglia.Neurochem. Int. 2010; 56 (984-390)
- Effects of oxymatrine on sympathoexcitatory reflex induced by myocardial ischemic signaling mediated by P2X3 receptors in rat SCG and DRG.Brain Res. Bull. 2011; 84: 419-424
- P2X receptors and modulation of pain transmission: focus on effects of drugs and compounds used in traditional Chinese medicine.Neurochem. Int. 2010; 57: 705-712
- Sensory–sympathetic coupling in superior cervical ganglia after myocardial ischemic injury facilitates sympathoexcitatory action via P2X7 receptor.Purinergic Signal. 2013; 9: 463-479
- Apoptosis mediated by p53 in rat neural AF5 cells following treatment with hydrogen peroxide and staurosporine.Brain Res. 2006; 1112: 1-15
- Inhibition effect of arachidonic acid on hypoxia-induced [Ca2+]i elevation in PC12 cells and human pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells.Respir. Physiol. Neurobiol. 2008; 162: 18-23
- Up-regulation of P2X7 receptor-immunoreactivity by in vitro ischemia on the plasma membrane of cultured rat cortical neurons.Neurosci. Lett. 2008; 446: 45-50
- P2 purinoceptor expression and functional changes of hypoxia-activated cultured rat retinal microglia.Neurosci. Lett. 2000; 282: 153-156
- Activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase by stretch-induced injury in astrocytes involves extracellular ATP and P2 purinergic receptors.J. Neurosci. 2003; 23: 2348-2356
- Molecular physiology of P2X receptors.Physiol. Rev. 2002; 82: 1013-1067
- Exploration of P2X P2X3 in the rat stellate ganglia after myocardial ischemia.Acta Histochem. 2007; 109: 330-337
- Protective effect of hopeahainol A, a novel acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, on hydrogen peroxide-induced injury in PC12 cells.Environ. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 2009; 28: 30-36
- The P2X7 purinergic receptor: from physiology to neurological disorders.FASEB J. 2010; 24: 337-345
- P2X7 receptors in the nervous system.Prog. Neurobiol. 2006; 78: 327-346
- The role of purinergic signaling in depressive disorders.Neuropsychopharmacol. Hung. 2012; 14: 231-238
- P2X7 inhibition in stellate ganglia prevents the increased sympathoexcitatory reflex via sensory–sympathetic coupling induced by myocardial ischemic injury.Brain Res. Bull. 2013; 96: 71-85
- P2X7 receptor at the heart of disease.Hippokratia. 2010; 14: 155-163
- Adenosine 5′-triphosphate: a P2-purinergic agonist in the myocardium.Physiol. Physiol. Rev. 2001; 81: 767-806
- P2X7 receptor inhibition improves recovery after spinal cord injury.Nat. Med. 2004; 10: 821-827
- High fatty acids modulate P2X7 expression and IL-6 release via the p38 MAPK pathway in PC12 cells.Brain Res. Bull. 2013; 94: 63-70
- The involvement of P2X3 receptors of rat sympathetic ganglia in cardiac nociceptive transmission.J. Physiol. Biochem. 2007; 63: 249-257
- Myocardial ischemic nociceptive signaling mediated by P2X3 receptor in rat stellate ganglion neurons.Brain Res. Bull. 2008; 75: 77-82
- Effects of puerarin on the inflammatory role of burn-related procedural pain mediated by P2X(7) receptors.Burns. 2013; 39: 610-618
Published online: April 17, 2014
Accepted: March 24, 2014
Received in revised form: March 10, 2014
Received: November 29, 2013
© 2014 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.