- •Autonomic regulation in migraine patients with/without hypertension was compared with healthy subjects matched by age/sex.
- •Migrainers with hypertension have reduced arterial baroreflex but parameters of cardiac autonomic regulation were unchanged.
- •Increased vasomotor reactivity in migrainers with or without hypertension was associated with the family history of cardiovascular diseases.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical
- 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the assessment of cardiovascular risk.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 2886https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2014.02.606
- Autonomic nervous system function in migraine without Aura.Headache. 1991; 31: 457-462https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4610.1991.hed3107457.x
- Migraine with aura: which patients are most at risk of stroke?.Neurol Sci. 2015; 36: 57-60https://doi.org/10.1007/s10072-015-2132-2
- Risk of ischaemic stroke in people with migraine: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.Br. Med. J. 2005; 330: 63https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.38302.504063.8F
- Cardiovascular responses to sustained handgrip in normal subjects and in patients with diabetes mellitus: a test of autonomic function.Clin Sci. 1974; 46: 295-306https://doi.org/10.1042/cs0460295
- Chronic orthostatic intolerance. A disorder with discordant cardiac and vascular sympathetic control circulation.98. 1998: 2154-2159https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.98.20.2154
- The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition (beta version).Cephalalgia. 2013; 33: 629-808https://doi.org/10.1177/0333102413485658
- Influence of age, body mass index, and blood pressure on the carotid intima-media thickness in normotensive and hypertensive patients.Biomed Tech. 2006; 51: 159-162https://doi.org/10.1515/BMT.2006.027
- Impaired baroreflex control of vascular resistance and heart rate in acute myocardial infarction.Br Heart J. 1984; 52: 418-421https://doi.org/10.1136/hrt.52.4.418
- Increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke in patients with migraine: a population-based cohort study.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8e55253https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0055253
- The epidemiology of migraine.Am J Med. 2005; 118: 3-10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2005.01.014
- A human cardiopulmonary system model applied to the analysis of the Valsalva maneuver.Am J Cardiol. 2001; 281: H2661-H2679
- Autonomous control of cardiovascular reactivity in patients with episodic and chronic forms of migraine.The Jornal of Headache and Pain. 2016; 17: 52https://doi.org/10.1186/s10194-016-0645-6
- Task Force for the Management of Arterial Hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension and the European Society of Cardiology. 2013 ESH/ESC Practice Guidelines for the Management of Arterial Hypertension.Blood Press. 2014; 23: 3-16https://doi.org/10.3109/08037051.2014.868629
- Catecholamine levels in plasma and CSF in migraine.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1993; 56: 1119-1121https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.56.10.1119
- Autonomic impairment in patients with migraine.Eur. Rev. Med. Pharmacol. Sci. 2015; 19: 3922-3927
- Autonomic dysfunction in migraineurs.Headache. 2002; 39: 108-117https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1526-4610.1999.3902108.x
- Quantitative autonomic testing.J Vis Exp. 2011; 19e2502https://doi.org/10.3791/2502
- The role of cardiac autonomic function in hypertension and cardiovascular disease.Curr Hypertens Rep. 2009; 11: 199-205https://doi.org/10.1007/s11906-009-0035-4
- Assessment and interpretation of blood pressure variability in a clinical setting.Blood Press. 2013; 22: 345-354https://doi.org/10.3109/08037051.2013.782944
- Baroreflex sensitivity and heredity in essential hypertension.Circulation. 1992; 85: 407-503https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.85.2.497
- Migraine and vascular diseases: a review of the evidence and potential implications for management.Cephalalgia. 2012; 32: 785-795https://doi.org/10.1177/0333102412451361
- Cardiovascular risk factors and migraine: the GEM population-based study.Neurology. 2005; 64: 614-620https://doi.org/10.1212/01.WNL.0000151857.43225.49
- Migraine and cardiovascular disease: systematic review and meta-analysis.The British Medical Journal. 2009; 27: b3914https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b3914
- Burden of atherosclerosis and risk of venous thromboembolism in patients with migraine.Neurology. 2005; 71: 937-943https://doi.org/10.1212/01.wnl.0000325918.48056.75
- Baroreflex function and pressor responsiveness in normotensive young subjects with a family history of hypertension.Jpn Circ J. 1985; 49: 990-996https://doi.org/10.1253/jcj.49.990
- Association between blood pressure measures and recurrent headache in adolescents: cross-sectional data from the HUNT-Youth study.J. Headache Pain. 2011; 12: 347-353https://doi.org/10.1007/s10194-011-0304-x
- Altered arterial function in migraine of recent onset.Neurology. 2007; 68: 1563-1570https://doi.org/10.1212/01.wnl.0000260964.28393.ed
- Regulation of blood pressure by the arterial baroreflex and autonomic nervous system.in: Buijs R.M. Swaab D.F. Autonomic Nervous System. Elsevier, Edinburgh, London2013: 89-102