- •PoTS patients displayed overt involuntary emotional expression disorder (IEED).
- •No obvious “structural” pathology was present in PoTS patients with IEED.
- •HUT was a precipitating factor for overt IEED in PoTS.
- •Latent IEED occurred frequently in both PoTS and NMH patients.
- •Higher PHQ-9 scores in PoTS and NMH patients indicated comorbid depression.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical
- Cognitive function, health-related quality of life, and symptoms of depression and anxiety sensitivity are impaired in patients with the postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS).Front. Physiol. 2014; 5 (doi): 230https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2014.00230
- Neural substrates linking balance control and anxiety.Physiol. Behav. 2002; 77: 469-475https://doi.org/10.1016/s0031-9384(02)00935-6
- Columnar organization in the midbrain periaqueductal gray and the integration of emotional expression.in: Holstege G. Bandler R. Saper C.B. Progress in Brain Research. 107. Publisher, City1996: 285-300
- Standards for patient-reported outcome-based performance measures.JAMA. 2013; 310 (doi:1710466 [pii];10.1001/jama.2013.6855 [doi]): 139-140
- Correlates of functional disability in patients with postural tachycardia syndrome: preliminary cross-sectional findings.Health Psychol. 2003; 22 ([doi];2003-09670-015 [pii]): 643-648https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-618.104.22.1683
- Emotional effects produced by the injection of adrenalin.Circulation. 1932; 44: 300-307
- Defining and diagnosing involuntary emotional expression disorder.CNS Spectr. 2006; 11: 1-7
- Blunted cerebral blood flow velocity in response to a nitric oxide donor in postural tachycardia syndrome.Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2014; 307: H397-H404https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpheart.00194.2014
- Consensus statement on the definition of orthostatic hypotension, neurally mediated syncope and the postural tachycardia syndrome.Clin. Auton. Res. 2011; 21: 69-72https://doi.org/10.1007/s10286-011-0119-5
- Hyperdynamic beta-adrenergic circulatory state.Arch. Intern. Med. 1966; 117: 614-619
- The hemodynamic and neurohumoral phenotype of postural tachycardia syndrome.Neurology. 2007; 69: 790-798https://doi.org/10.1212/01.wnl.0000267663.05398.40
- Neurocirculatory abnormalities in chronic orthostatic intolerance.Circulation. 2005; 111: 839-845https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000155613.20376.CA
- Emotional appraisal is influenced by cardiac afferent information.Emotion. 2012; 12: 180-191https://doi.org/10.1037/a0025083
- Cerebral vasoconstriction during head-upright tilt-induced vasovagal syncope. A paradoxic and unexpected response.Circulation. 1991; 84: 1157-1164https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.84.3.1157
- Pathophysiology of emotional disorders associated with brain damage.Handbook Clin Neurol. 1969; 3: 343-367
- Comparative study of cerebral blood flow between postural tachycardia and neurocardiogenic syncope, during head-up tilt test.Europace. 2002; 4: 369-374https://doi.org/10.1053/eupc.2002.0226
- Bickerstaff’s encephalitis.BMJ Case Rep. 2014; 2014https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2014-205336
- Cerebral blood flow abnormalities in patients with neurally mediated syncope.J. Neurol. 2011; 258: 366-372https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-010-5759-1
- Acute and reversible crying following deep brain stimulation targeting the globus pallidus interna in dystonia.J. Neurol. Sci. 2018; 388: 76-78https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2018.03.006
- Orthostatic intolerance and orthostatic tachycardia: a heterogeneous disorder.Clin. Auton. Res. 1995; 5: 12-18
- Dysautonomia.in: Schuster M.M. Crowell M.D. Koch K.L. Schuster Atlas of Gastrointestinal Motility. BC Decker, Inc, Hamilton, Ontario2002: 335-351
- Experimental induction of panic-like symptoms in patients with postural tachycardia syndrome.Clin. Auton. Res. 2006; 16: 371-377
- Visceral sensitization in postural tachycardia syndrome.Clin. Auton. Res. 2014; 24: 71-76https://doi.org/10.1007/s10286-014-0227-0
- Pseudobulbar affect in postural tachycardia syndrome.Clin. Auton. Res. 2017; 27: 295-353
- Modulation of functional EEG networks by the NMDA antagonist nitrous oxide.PLoS One. 2013; 8e56434https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0056434
- Fear processing is differentially affected by lateralized stimulation of carotid baroreceptors.Cortex. 2018; 99: 200-212https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cortex.2017.07.002
- Anti-yo mediated paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration associated with pseudobulbar affect in a patient with breast cancer.Case Rep Oncol Med. 2017; 2017: 8120689https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/8120689
- Evidence-based guideline: assessment and management of psychiatric disorders in individuals with MS: report of the Guideline Development Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology.Neurology. 2014; 82: 174-181https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000000013
- A self report measure of affective lability.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 1997; 63: 89-93
- Clinical and laboratory indices that enhance the diagnosis of postural tachycardia syndrome.Mayo Clin. Proc. 1998; 73 (doi: S0025-6196(11)64483-2 [pii];10.4065/73.12.1141 [doi]): 1141-1150
- Pathological laughter and crying: a link to the cerebellum.Brain. 2001; 124: 1708-1719https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/124.9.1708
- Health-related quality of life and suicide risk in postural tachycardia syndrome.Clin. Auton. Res. 2017; 27: 75-81https://doi.org/10.1007/s10286-017-0399-5
- Cognitive and psychological issues in postural tachycardia syndrome.Auton. Neurosci. 2018; 215: 46-55https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2018.03.004
- Validation of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 (PHQ-9) for depression screening in adults with epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2014; 37 (doi: S1525-5050(14)00247-9 [pii];10.1016/j.yebeh.2014.06.030 [doi]): 215-220
- Baroreceptor stimulation alters cortical activity.Psychophysiology. 1993; 30: 322-325https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8986.1993.tb03359.x
- Hemispheric asymmetry in the expression of positive and negative emotions. Neurologic evidence.Arch. Neurol. 1982; 39: 210-218https://doi.org/10.1001/archneur.1982.00510160016003
- Forebrain neurocircuitry associated with human reflex cardiovascular control.Front. Physiol. 2015; 6: 240https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2015.00240
- Altered functional connectivity between medial prefrontal cortex and the inferior brainstem in major depression during appraisal of subjective emotional responses: a preliminary study.Biol. Psychol. 2015; 108: 13-24https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsycho.2015.03.007
- Oscillatory cerebral blood flow is associated with impaired neurocognition and functional hyperemia in postural tachycardia syndrome during graded tilt.Hypertension. 2015; 65: 636-643https://doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.114.04576
- Motor organization of positive and negative emotional vocalization in the cat midbrain periaqueductal gray.J. Comp. Neurol. 2016; 524: 1540-1557https://doi.org/10.1002/cne.23869
- Significance of neuro-cardiac control mechanisms governed by higher regions of the brain.Auton. Neurosci. 2016; 199: 54-65https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2016.08.013
- Structural brain abnormalities in postural tachycardia syndrome: a VBM-DARTEL study.Front. Neurosci. 2015; 9: 34https://doi.org/10.3389/fnins.2015.00034
- “Fou rire prodromique” heralding a brainstem stroke.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 1993; 56: 209-210https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.56.2.209
- Anxiety and mood disorders associated with gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist therapy.Psychopharmacol. Bull. 1997; 33: 311-316
- Some problems in neurology: no. 2. Pathological laughing and crying.J. Neurol. Psychopathol. 1924; 4: 299-333
- Pseudobulbar affect: an under-recognized and under-treated neurological disorder.Adv. Ther. 2011; 28: 586-601https://doi.org/10.1007/s12325-011-0031-3
☆This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.