- •Sympathetic outflow can trigger sudden cardiac death (SCD).
- •The heart receives sympathetic innervation from the stellate ganglion.
- •Stellate ganglionitis (SG) is associated with cardiac arrhythmia and SCD.
- •SG in SCD is poorly described and not well recognized.
- •We report a SCD showing SG with evidence of humoral immune response.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical
- Beta-blocker therapy for long QT syndrome and catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia: are all beta-blockers equivalent?.Heart Rhythm. 2017; 14: e41-e414
- Inflammation, oxidative stress, and glial cell activation characterize stellate ganglia from humans with electrical storm.JCI Insight. 2017; 2
- Neurotransmitter switching coupled to β-adrenergic signaling in sympathetic neurons in prehypertensive states.Hypertension. 2018; 71: 1226-1238
- Rationale and design of a prospective study to assess the effect of left cardiac sympathetic denervation in chronic heart failure.Int. J. Cardiol. 2017; 248: 227-231
- Not all beta-blockers are equal in the management of long QT syndrome types 1 and 2: higher recurrence of events under metoprolol.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2012; 60: 2092-2099
- Special Austopsy Dissection.1st ed. CAP Press, Illinois2010
- An Introduction to Autopsy Technique.2nd ed. College of American Pathologists, Illinois2005
- Cardiac sympathetic denervation in channelopathies.Front. Cardiovasc. Med. 2019; 6
- Stellate ganglion blockade for the treatment of refractory ventricular arrhythmias.JACC Clin. Electroencephalogr. 2020; 6: 562-571
- Stellate ganglion blockade: an intervention for the management of ventricular arrhythmias.Curr. Hypertens. Rep. 2020; 22
- Virus-like particles associated with intracardiac ganglionitis in 2 cases of sudden unexpected death.Jpn. Heart J. 1981; 22: 447-454
- Cardiac ganglionitis associated with sudden unexpected death.Ann. Intern. Med. 1979; 91: 727-730
- Abnormal cardiovascular response to exercise in hypertension: contribution of neural factors.Am. J. Phys. Regul. Integr. Comp. Phys. 2017; 312: R851-R863
- Stellate Ganglion Blocks. StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing Copyright © 2021, StatPearls Publishing LLC.2021
- Identification of peripheral neural circuits that regulate heart rate using optogenetic and viral vector strategies.Nat. Commun. 2019; 10
- T-cell–mediated inflammatory activity in the stellate ganglia of patients with ion-channel disease and severe ventricular arrhythmias.Circ. Arrhythm. Electrophysiol. 2014; 7: 224-229
- Cardioneuropathy and extracardiac neural disease.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1985; 5: 66B-70B
- Left stellectomy in the prevention of ventricular fibrillation caused by acute myocardial ischemia in conscious dogs with anterior myocardial infarction.Circulation. 1980; 62: 1256-1265
- Prevention of sudden cardiac death after a first myocardial infarction by pharmacologic or surgical antiadrenergic interventions.J. Cardiovasc. Electrophysiol. 1992; 3: 2-16
- The mammalian exercise pressor reflex in health and disease.Exp. Physiol. 2006; 91: 89-102
- Effective use of percutaneous stellate ganglion blockade in patients with electrical storm.Circ. Arrhythm. Electrophysiol. 2019; 12
- Interaction between endothelin-1 and left stellate ganglion activation: a potential mechanism of malignant ventricular arrhythmia during myocardial ischemia.Oxidative Med. Cell. Longev. 2019; 2019
- Spontaneous stellate ganglion nerve activity and ventricular arrhythmia in a canine model of sudden death.Heart Rhythm. 2008; 5: 131-139